Sunday, February 27, 2011

Raw Food and Raw Sound!

#7: Live Food Bar.

I'm not a vegetarian, let alone a vegan.  One of my favourite quotes on the subject is from That 70's Show, when Kitty serves Red salad for dinner.  He states, "That's not food.  That's what food eats".

Still, I do find myself moving in that general direction.  There are several pro-veggie arguments - for example, animal cruelty, impact to the environment - but there is one overarching and apparently undeniable fact: I feel better physically when I eat less animal.

Which leads me to First #7: Live Food Bar (near Dupont and Spadina) with Piera on Friday night.  My thanks to Piera for the lovely suggestion.  As it happened, this was also my first official 'Raw' meal.


The first thing I noticed upon entering was the very cool and laid-back vibe.  The service was warm and unpretentious.  The company was outstanding...but I digress. :)

Calling my main 'Beet Ravioli' was questionable, as any resemblance to ravioli was purely coincidental.  It was tasty, but when served appeared to be a little sparse.  Yet when I was done, the portion felt right-sized - any more might have been too much.

The chocolate-avocado cake was a superb choice for dessert.  It was so much better than I'd expect a dessert containing avocado would be!

#8: The Piston

Friday also happened to be my cousin Ryan's birthday.  After dinner, Piera and I cabbed over to The Piston (Bloor just west of Ossington) to meet up for a celebratory drink.  One of Ryan's friend's band was gigging, and we arrived in time to catch the first set.


It's been way too long since I've seen a live band with a horn section.  The music was a throwback to the 1970s/1980s...funky with a Motown twist.  Particularly impressive, considering they were only one-fifth black. :)  They had the joint jumpin', as the grooves made it hard to stand still - not that you'd want to, even if you could.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a great night and equally outstanding company. Leaning towards less animal is definitely inspiring :) So much to explore, much success with the many more firsts for you this year! I may have a few ideas for blog content :)

    Piera

    ReplyDelete