Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wine, Women, and Song!

#9: Tardieu Laurent Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee Speciale 2003.

In March of 2010, I attended my first wine auction.  I admit it, I got caught up in bidding fever...I ended up with a little more product than I had originally anticipated - enough to warrant buying a mini-fridge.  In retrospect, both the wine and the fridge were great investments.  One of those bottles became a victim in last night's tasting experience.

Greg and Lisette graciously invited me over to their place for dinner Saturday night.  Even though it was only a couple of months since we last got together, it seemed like there was too much time between visits.

Dinner was great.  The prime rib complemented the wine (yes, I usually put the pairing in that order) very nicely.  You might recall from the previous post that the move toward vegetarianism is still 'in progress'.
The wine was a true delight.  I found it earthy and complex, with subtle hints of red fruit, mostly raspberry and cherry.

Note to self: Remember to register for this year's auction.  And crack open more bottles, in order to free up space in the fridge.  That's a win-wine-win. :)

#10: 'Apostles of Sin' at Duffy's Tavern.

Cabbed it from dinner to catch the debut of Rod's new band.  This was actually a double-first, as Duffy's Tavern (Bloor, between Dufferin and Lansdowne) was new territory.

It was an excellent first (ever) 40 minute set.  It included 1980's Black Sabbath and Judas Priest covers, which took me back to my own band days, as we used to cover a couple of those tunes as well.  Rod did an incredible job on the drums, and the entire band was remarkably tight for a first gig.  There aren't too many metal acts with female leads...but if any members of the audience had any doubts going in, they were erased before the end of the first verse.  That girl Martina can WAIL!

I hardly ever listen to metal these days, but this was an excellent opportunity to catch a great band, support an even greater friend, and rekindle some childhood memories of my own.  It also heightened my desire more than ever to get back on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment